Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tyler Pitlick



So,

I've been doing alot of reading about this kid, and there is something that struck me this morning. He is going to be a heck of a third line center. Good faceoff's, decent speed, strong shot, and has some hands. He can score short handed and he has had plenty of PK time in his development. He is no where near a first line center, but if there are injuries, he could slot nicely into the second line role and he wont hurt the team. The more I think about this pick the more I am happy with it. He say's the right things, he is leaving school to continue his development in the WHL. He is everything a team wants in a good pro. I didnt much like most of the other draft picks after 31, but I think Pitlick was a hell of a choice and considering that the team has alot of skilled forwards coming in, there is little chance that Pitlick will be over valued. He will be a hell of a third line guy, and rebuilding the bottom 6 was exactly what this team needed.

Although I am aware that at the moment there is no room for him on the team,  I am very curious to see him play in training camp. He likes to throw his body around and he is a two-way center. This is one of the types of players this team is looking for. If he honestly impresses with his defensive game, throws some big hits while backing it up if nessesary and pots a few goals who know's he may actually make the team. And if he doesnt make the big club, he will be a player that will be just a phone call and a short flight away from trying again.

I am really in love with the youth movement on this team right now. And it has very little to do with the Chicago's out there. I have no illusions that the Oilers will be a contender right away. But what DOES have me a little giddy is that they are finally building an entire team out of the youngsters. Several of the needed role players for a good team have already been drafted or aquired and they now have the opportunity to grow up together. There is a good mix developing and as long as Tambi doesnt blow his wad and go sign a bunch of aging UFA's they will have the makings of a solid, long term team.

Jason Gregor has some great ideas on Oilersnation this morning for the types of players the Oilers should be targeting tomorrow. Very little there to disagree with. Let's hope Tambellini has the same idea and doesnt go nuts trying to land a big fish. I would like to see Souray gone in a couple day's. Wait for UFA season to cool a little bit and see what teams out there are still looking for his type of player. Then make a direct trade for another D-Man.

I'm getting excited. By this time tomorrow I will be hovering around my TV, computer, twitter and the radio waiting to see how the final roster will shape up. If draft day was like christmas, tomorrow is like New Years Eve.

I'm sure I will have more to come tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment