Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Renney - How much say does he really have?





So in the world of team building I have been wondering exactly where Renney sits in the decision making process.

What I mean is, does he have the ability to tell Tambellini that he no longer has need for a player like say Brule and that Tambellini needs to make a move to free up the roster spot for someone that fits his mold for the team Renney wants to ice? Does he have the freedom to tell his boss that Omark doesn't fit into his system anymore and they should use that player to get a big 2-way D-man that can shoot the puck?

Or is Renney forced to sit back and simply use the players he is given, in essence he has to stuff players into roles that don't really fit because that's the only choice he is given? I would love to know how manager meetings are held between the coaching staff and the GM.

I guess it comes down to me asking who to blame for mismatched lines and an incomplete team. Hypothetically speaking if Renney is telling Tambellini that he has everything he needs and the GM is managing his players accordingly then there is a problem with coaching and on the flip side of that coin if Tambellini really IS the player hoarder I think he is, then maybe its time to move on him and bring in a new GM that isn't so enamored with the current players that he is unable to part with them.  Hard decisions have to be made and it appears to me that somewhere down the line there is a disconnect and until it is rectified there will always be holes in this team.
I want to see a team that has no glaring holes in it's game. Weakness in certain areas DOES happen. It happens to all teams out there. But a GM's job is to try and get the best possible players for those roles that he can and then it is up to the coach to use those players accordingly. At the moment I still see too many players that don't particularly fit a proper mold but they are being kept either because the brass is afraid to move on a good player for fear of simply losing another good player, or because they are "fan favorites" and in a building mode they don't want to upset the fan base. In my (not always so humble) opinion I think those are both wrong reasons to keep players. I really hope I am wrong and Tambellini lets go of the players that aren't needed and starts using said players to make deals that benefit the team. He has some really good trade assets there, I think he should start using them.


I know that lately I have been spouting off about getting rid of certain players, and I haven't really ever held back my punches when it comes to management or coaching so this isn't new territory. What I am trying to do is show what I feel the direction of the team should be. I really abhor people that just say "they suck" or "Player "X" needs to go" and lets it stand at that. I think the Oiler fan base is an informed group and has the ability to think for themselves. I hope what I do here gets people thinking.

Until next rant ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment